March 4 2023 8:00 am
March 12 2023 5:30 pm
Bastyr Center for Natural Health
3670 Stone Way N.
The public, professionals and others interested in childbirth vocations
|Exclude from main events feed
|Force display on homepage feed
|Priority Display on Homepage
2-week format starting March 4-5 & 11-12, 2023 on Saturdays and Sundays from 8am-5:30pm taught by Kim James. This course is perfect for people who want to complete their workshop in the quickest format. Must be able to complete 4 hours of pre-workshop modules before the course begins and up to 4 hours of flipped content between the first and second weekend of class. Completion of this training meets the criteria for three requirements towards DONA International Certifications: (1) Birth Doula Workshop, (2) Introduction to Childbirth for Doulas and (3) Breastfeeding/Chest feeding for Doulas. This training is in-person and participants will be required to provide proof of vaccination and comply with mask requirements.
Our trainings have been filling up quickly and will close registration once we have reached max capacity. Registration will close entirely on February 24. We do offer a Course Assistant position to provide support for the classroom, and in exchange the Course Assistant would receive discounted tuition. Full tuition is $725. Participants will receive additional information, including login information once registered. For more information regarding this position, or if you have any questions about this training or attending in-person classes at Bastyr University, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (425) 602-3361.
- Anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, fetal development, labor, postpartum, and breastfeeding
- Components of prenatal care and the midwifery model of care
- Emotions of pregnancy
- Pain management techniques
- Medical procedures used in labor
- Labor variations and complications, including Cesarean birth
- Communication and listening skills
- The emotional and psychological aspects of giving birth and its significance in women's lives
- The doula's role, professional ethics, standards of practice, and certification
- Emotional support and physical comfort measures
- Support for difficult labors, Cesarean birth, and vaginal birth after Cesarean
- Newborn care and breastfeeding support
- Values clarification and cultural sensitivity
- Includes Introduction to Childbearing (DONA International certification requirement)
- Includes Breast/Chestfeeding for Doulas (DONA International certification requirement)
Certificates of completion will only be issued to students present for all of the sessions and who have completed the Online Learning Modules. In order to receive your certificate of completion, you must complete all of the Online Learning Modules before the end of the workshop. Read Simkin Center Registration Policies.
Required Texts: (click here for information on where to obtain texts.)
- The Birth Partner: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions by Penny Simkin (5th edition or latest)
A senior DONA International-approved doula trainer, see Simkin Center Faculty, leads each training workshop. Guest lecturers are invited to speak on their areas of expertise, including actively working with local doulas who share their pathways to success. The course provides ample time for hands-on practice of comfort measures.
More information: See Simkin Center Website
Call us at (425) 602-3361