April 12 2023 6:00 pm
July 5 2023 9:00 pm
The public, professionals and others interested in childbirth vocations
|Exclude from main events feed
|Force display on homepage feed
|Priority Display on Homepage
12-week format from April 12, 2023, to July 5, 2023, on Wednesday evenings from 6:00pm-9:00pm taught by senior instructor, Laurie Levy. This course is perfect for people who prefer learning in shorter classes to a longer period, want to learn with a close cohort of students, and can complete up to 4 hours of pre-work between classes. This virtual workshop will consist of the same DONA-approved curriculum as the traditional 4-day intensive class but offers a more spread-out schedule for people who want more time to assimilate the material. Completion of this training meets the criteria for three requirements towards DONA International Certifications: (1) Birth Doula Workshop, (2) Introduction to Childbirth for Doulas and (3) Breastfeeding/Chest feeding for Doulas.
We do offer a Course Assistant position to provide technical support for the Zoom virtual classroom, and in exchange, the Course Assistant would receive discounted tuition. Full tuition is $725. Participants will receive additional information, including login information once registered. For more information regarding this position as well as any other inquiries, please contact us at email@example.com or call us at (425) 602-3378.
- Anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, fetal development, labor, postpartum, and breastfeeding
- Components of prenatal care and the midwifery model of care
- Emotions of pregnancy
- Pain management techniques
- Medical procedures used in labor
- Labor variations and complications, including Cesarean birth
- Communication and listening skills
- The emotional and psychological aspects of giving birth and its significance in women's lives
- The doula's role, professional ethics, standards of practice, and certification
- Emotional support and physical comfort measures
- Support for difficult labors, Cesarean birth, and vaginal birth after Cesarean
- Newborn care and breastfeeding support
- Values clarification and cultural sensitivity
- Includes Introduction to Childbearing (DONA International certification requirement)
- Includes Breast/Chestfeeding for Doulas (DONA International certification requirement)
Certificates of completion will only be issued to students present for all of the sessions and who have completed the Online Learning Modules. In order to receive your certificate of completion, you must complete all of the Online Learning Modules before the end of the workshop.
Required Texts: (click here for information on where to obtain texts.)
- The Birth Partner: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions by Penny Simkin (5th edition or latest).
A DONA International-approved doula trainer, see Simkin Center Faculty, leads each training workshop. Guest lecturers are invited to speak on their areas of expertise, including actively working with local doulas who share their pathways to success. The course provides ample time for hands-on practice of comfort measures.
More information: see Simkin Center Website
Call us at (425) 602-3378