Class will meet on April 20-23, 2023. Thursday-Sunday, from 9:00am to 6:00pm (NOTE: Class on day 4 will meet at 8:30am)
The Pre- and Perinatal Massage Therapy Workshop will empower massage therapists and other healthcare providers to become competent, confident specialists in all stages of childbearing. Successful graduates are prepared to meet the emotional, structural, and physiological challenges of pregnancy and labor and into the long postpartum period. Instruction features 80+ advanced, specific techniques, pregnancy A&P, safety guidelines, complications and high-risk pregnancies, integrative structural alignment for client and therapist, an abundance of relevant research, and proven promotional strategies. (The course is also approved by various agencies for continuing education credit.) Pre-reading of Pre- and Perinatal Massage Therapy, 3rd edition, as well as a classroom manual and additional supplement of techniques further deepens learning during these 32 hours of in-person, multisensory instruction. Please note: Out of an abundance of caution for you and our staff and faculty, we will be strictly adhering to all CDC and Health Advisories, including University protocols during this 4-day training. Participants will be required to provide proof of vaccination and comply with mask and social distancing requirements. Register early to ensure your space. If you have any questions regarding this training or attending in-person classes at Bastyr University, please call us at 425-602-3361.
- 80 techniques to alleviate common perinatal discomforts
- Promote physiologic and mother-centered care
- Skills to increase awareness and readiness for labor
- Medical complications & high risk pregnancy adaptations
- Detailed maternity physiology, anatomy and functionality
- Labor techniques to facilitate relaxation, pain reduction & progress
- Postpartum restoration of abdomen, movement & emotions
- Techniques for reducing childcare strain & supporting breastfeeding
- Research, ethics & working with other providers
- Positioning & techniques applicable to other special populations
- Immersion in nurturing, motivated learning community
- Personalized feedback to improve embodiment & effectiveness
- New repertoire of immediately applicable skills
- Distinction as a specialist for childbearing people
- 32 meaningful, inspiring hours, plus your CE credits
- Improved client care & retention
- Extended career longevity from body usage efficiency & a lucrative specialization
- A prerequisite to the high-caliber certification many employers require
- Skill expansion for all clients needing positioning alternatives
Prerequisite: 500+ hours of massage therapy training (other perinatal professionals admitted with approval, contact us for information). Good anatomical knowledge and skill, and experience in Swedish massage and at least one of the following: deep tissue/myofascial release, structural balancing, trigger point/neuromuscular therapy, or passive movement.
Now available! The third edition of bestselling Pre- and Perinatal Massage Therapy: A Comprehensive Guide to Prenatal, Labor, and Postpartum Practice, Osborne, Kolakowski, Lobenstine.
Click here to order.
This workshop is a prerequisite for certification, the certification process happens outside our center. After earning these 32 CE hours and you wish to become certified, you will need to verify your knowledge & skills by purchasing an assessment module. Test online & submit video for individualized evaluation.
Michele Kolakowski LMT, CD & CPD(DONA), CLC brings more than two decades of diverse experience working with childbearing women and new families to the classroom and considers it a privilege to teach Pre-and Perinatal Massage Therapy with her mentor and professional “mom”, Carole Osborne.
Michele was program supervisor and lead BirthPlace massage therapist for Longmont United Hospital’s Health Center of Integrative Therapies. Michele is passionate and knowledgeable in maternity and infant massage. She lives in Longmont, Colorado with her family and loves high altitude gardening, hikes in the mountains, yoga, basketball (Go Tarheels!) and the joys of watching her boys become great young men.
CEUs: Approved by National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB), FL Board of Massage, and meets current AMTA, ABMP, DONA International requirements.
Audience: Licensed Massage Therapists and others licensed to touch. Advanced students of massage therapy, nurses, midwives, and other healthcare providers - contact us for information on approval to attend.
All courses are held at Bastyr University-Kenmore Campus, unless otherwise noted. Directions
Contact information for lodging: 425-602-3075
For any information regarding this training call the Simkin Center at (425) 602-3361